Thursday, May 6, 2010

Labyrinth 2 - Eye of Horus

Secret Garden Labyrinth - Eye of Horus


What's the complete opposite of a labyrinth on the lawn of the first Catholic Basilica in America? How about a labyrinth in the backyard of a Metaphysical New Age store called "Eye of Horus".

And yet, they are essentially the exact same thing with an identical purpose. Meditation, spirituality, contemplation and all other kinds of whatever googly-moogly you're into.

And both have pamphlets! I've been to two labyrinths so far, and BOTH have pamphlets about it. I don't know why, but this pleases me to no end. Are there people who diligently produce fantastic labyrinths and then skimp on the pamphlets? I haven't seen them yet, but when I do I may slap them in the face with a glove all French-duel style.




Incognito factor: I have been going to this store for a while now (I have a problem with rock/crystal buying, it's a fact) and I never even noticed that this labyrinth existed. It's all tucked away in the backyard. I would have said it's the "ninja of labyrinths", because of it's camouflageness, but I hear that ninjas are hack now. So I'll have to go with the less common and much less poetic "It's like the tree-person-that-you-didn't-realize-was-a-tree-person-until-you-got-too-close-and-grabbed-it's-apples-and-now-you-can-see-it's-face-and-it's-all-mad of labyrinths." That's a fairly accurate analogy, if you forget that labyrinths aren't malicious because they don't have the power of cognition, or apples.

Windy factor: That's windy like "Wind up the toy, Jim!" Not like "Man, Jim's butt smells bad. I wish it were windy!" (Believe it or not, I spent five minutes thinking it over and those were the two best examples I could think of.) The labyrinth looks tiny (at least compared to St. Mary's) when you first walk into the backyard, but it is deceptively intricate. It twists and turns 12 times. I felt almost kind of disheveled and turned around at all times. That's where I suppose the meditation comes in. If you keep walking, you'll get to the center no matter what, so you just keep focused on one foot in front of the other.

Spiritual/weirdness factor:
Like I said in my previous journal, they say that with practice, you might start to experience visions or revelations on your journey. So I remembered to keep my senses opened at all times. And half-way through, sure enough, like the Four-Horsemen of the Apocalypse, louder than all Hell came thunderous Mexican tuba music from the next door neighbors. Strangely enough, it's not bad meditation music. The rhythmic tuba really sets the pace for your feet. "Doot" Left foot forward. "Doot" Right foot forward. "Doot" Left foot forward. And so on.

Target paraphernalia spotting: There is a really cool, small Buddha statue to the side of the labyrinth. I love Buddhas. I practiced Buddhism for two years and it still holds a very dear place in my heart. Also, I recognized this particular Buddha as one that is sold at Target stores across the country. The very one I have in my apartment. So I felt much better that I'm not the only person getting my spiritual items from the same store that sells plungers and Miley Cyrus notebooks.


Meditations from the pamphlet: "When you walk a labyrinth, it is with a focus. This focus could be a question or situation, a need for peace, celebration, inner connection, clearing the mind of clutter, or a desire to reunite with the Earth, your Spirit, or with the Divine.

The journey can consist of three parts: the entrance walk is "Purgation" or cleansing of the affairs of the mundane world; attaining the Center brings "Illumination", the enlightenment of the Spirit; and the exit walk effects "Unification" or spiritual self becoming one with mundane self.

At the entrance, stop and reflect on your focus, intention or prayer. As you walk the paths, shed everything else as a snake sheds it's skin. Let go with each step, with each turn, knowing that even as you turn away from your goal, you are actually coming closer to the center, to rebirth.

At the center, step onto the Triquetra stone and take the time to reflect. You have reached not just a physical center but a spiritual location. Let in any guidance you are seeking. When ready, walk out by the same path, uniting the mundane and the spiritual as a whole being."

Overall experience: I liked this one a lot. Like I said in my previous labyrinth journal, I'm not exactly an expert yet. But I felt like this one did a pretty good job of keeping you on your toes and constantly guessing. And since I started a small savings account in order to some day buy that $80 chunk of Amethyst that Eye of Horus has, I'm sure I'll be back to traverse to tubas again!

From Labyrinthlocator.com:

Address:
2717 Lyndale Ave S
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
United States
view map

Directions/notes:
About 3 blocks north of Lake Street in Minneapolis on Lyndale Ave. Look for Eye of Horus Store (labyrinth is walled off from the street by a false-front).

Contact:
Store Phone: 612-872-1292
Email: jane@eyeofhorus.biz

Web:
http://eyeofhorus.biz/minneapolis/labyrinth

Schedule:
Always open
Open during store hours, may be reserved for a private event, so call the store first.

Admission:
none

Type:
Medieval
5 circuit

Material:
Rock or Garden

Designer:
Jane Hansen

Builder:
Jane & Friends of the Labyrinth

Size:
20 feet diameter

Date installed:
June 7, 2005

1 comment:

  1. Lovely and I like the idea of a celtic knot at the center. It feels a step higher, vibrationally, than just a blank circle.

    ReplyDelete